What is a Bismarck?
It's many things.
- a famous German political family. Notably, the first chancellor
of unified Germany, Otto von Bismarck, nicknamed the "Iron
Chancellor". Some of his descendants are still involved in German
- a German battleship from World War II, named after Otto von
Bismarck. It was one of the largest battleships ever built, but was
hunted down and sunk by the British Navy.
- in parts of the US and Canada, it's a kind of jelly donut
- an alcoholic drink made from a mix of dark beer and champagne, which Otto reportedly loved.
- the name of several cities, notably the capital of the US state
of North Dakota. Most of these are also named after Otto.
Bismarck is the capital of North Dakota and is a sister city to mandan witch are both on the Missouri river.
Bismarck's keel was laid in 1936. She was completed and launched in 1939. Sunk in 1941.