Eccles-Jordan Trigger Circuit
Member Since 09/17/2010
This circuit is used in most electronic digital computers ever built & was invented in 1918 (patent GB148582). What is it now called?
75,000 ---------- October 18, 2015
June 27, 2014
25,000 ---------- September 9, 2012
October 12, 2011
I am a Technologist, I study technologies. From the most primitive "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest technologies just coming out of discoveries reported in the pages of scientific journals.
30 year career in military avionics industry, both hardware and software.
First system I worked on had 8 custom computers (6 digital and 2 hybrid) packed in a box 6 inches square by 2 feet long. Lovely machine! That was an age when analog computers were still thought to have their place rather than being obsolete. Personally I think they DO still have their place but most engineers get no training on them, so they ignore them.
Have had both Confidential and Secret clearances, but they are long expired. Don't ask about what I worked on under them. NDAs still apply. It can be irritating having the FBI investigating the last 10 years or more of your life, including all medical records...
Spent roughly 10 years of volunteer work for the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA; mostly doing computer restorations (IBM 1620, DEC PDP-1, and IBM 1401).
My current fascinations are Computer History, Nuclear Energy/Weapons/Testing/Effects, AT&T Long Lines microwave tower spotting, GPS, Ice-cream making (Balsamic Vinegar Ice-cream is one of my more interesting flavors), FOIA, Technologies developed by man's ancestors before there was modern man...
Favorite patent number: GB630726, filed in 1934. Neutron chain reaction. Includes claims covering invention of nuclear reactors and bombs. Inventor: Leo Szilard.
Received first ECO Trophy from my 2010 Honda Insight (Hybrid) car at 7754 miles on October 13, 2011!
Reset ECO Score on November 1, 2011. Received ECO 1/3 Award on June 26, 2012.
Received ECO 2/3 Award on October 31, 2012.
This car died in a collision on March 17, 2014.
Received new 2014 Honda Insight (Hybrid) car with 9 miles on March 27, 2014. Received ECO 1/3 Award on June 2, 2014. Received ECO 2/3 Award on July 8, 2014. Received first ECO Trophy on August 14, 2014.
Reset ECO Score at 7069 miles on September 27, 2014. Received ECO 1/3 Award after 1430.1 miles and 50 hours 39 minutes on November 23, 2014. Received ECO 2/3 Award after 2814.6 miles and 98 hours 32 minutes on January 20, 2015, Received second ECO Trophy at 11642 miles after 4573 miles on March 25, 2015.
Reset ECO Score at 15938 miles on June 10, 2015. Received ECO 1/3 Award after 1930 miles on July 3, 2015, Received ECO 2/3 Award on August 20, 2015, Received third ECO Trophy on May 29, 2016.
Reset ECO Score on September 6, 2016, Received ECO 1/3 Award on October 7, 2016.
FOIA Documents received (if I received electronic copies, PDF, etc., and you are interested, I am free to distribute if you send me a request):
- IS-GPS-153D (redacted PDF), previous version was called ICD-GPS-153C. This is a protocol specification for GSSIP, Rockwell-Collin's developed binary serial protocol for communication between GPS Receivers and computers. This is an unclassified document, but with some FOUO sections that refer to classified data, all FOUO information was redacted in my copy.
Priority active -
- On Quaternions and Octonions: Their Geometry, Arithmetic, and Symmetry
- Assuring Public Safety In Continental Weapons Tests
- Swords of Armageddon (reading Volume 6 of 8 Volumes)
- Speed and Fun with Figures
- Mathematical Machines, Analog Devices
- Passages from the Life of a Philosopher (Charles Babbage)
- ARM Architecture Reference Manual
- Nuclear Physics in a Nutshell
- Underdevelopments and Marxism, from Marx to the theories of Imperialism and Dependency
- String Theory in a Nutshell
- Elementary Surveying
- Dealing with Risk, Why the Public and the Experts Disagree on Environmental Issues
- Hydrodynamics and Vector Field Theory
- RADAR and Electronic Navigation
- Quantum Man, Richard Feynman's Life in Science
- Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals
- The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's
- The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum
- The First Computers: History and Architecture
- How to build a Nuclear Bomb
- Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces
- The Effects of Nuclear Weapons w/ circular sliderule effects computer
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki Revisited
- EMP Radiation & Protective Techniques
- Radiological Defense (4 Volumes)
- The Making of the Atomic Bomb
- Dark Sun
- Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer, ENIAC Operating Manual
- Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer, ENIAC Technical Manual
- Nucleonics Fundamentals (good table of isotopes, halflifes, and crosssections)
- The Limits of Safety: Organizations, Accidents, and Nuclear Weapons (While on Nuclear Weapons, it gives important insights into reasons for failures of any complex system.)
- Atomic Harvest
- The Radiochemical Manual
- Applied Nuclear Physics
- Applied Atomic Power
- Textbook of Nuclear medicine technology
- Introduction to Nuclear Engineering
- Power Reactors in Small Packages (USAEC June 1964)
- Plowshare (USAEC March 1966)
- The Pursuit of the Atom
- Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret War
- Stalin, Paradoxes of Power, 1879-1928 (Volume 1 of 2)
- Stalin and the Bomb
- The Ghost of the Executed Engineer
- The Soviet Tragedy - A History of Socialism in Russia, 1917-1991
- The Truth about Chernobyl
- Beloved Enemies
- Feynman's Thesis, A New Approach to Quantum Mechanics
- The Cosmic Frontiers of General Relativity
- Earth Satellites and the Race for Space Superiority (©1957)
- Wonder Book of the World's Progress in Ten Volumes Illustrated (©1935)
- Everyday Problems in Science (1925, not copyrighted)
- Gas, Gasoline, and Oil Engines (©1911)
- Ray's New Practical Arithmetic (©1877, I believe this is the oldest book I have)
- New Encyclopedia of Machine Shop Practices (©1941)
- Machinery's Handbook: A Reference Book for the Mechanical Engineer, Draftsman, Toolmaker and Machinist
- Giant Brains or Machines that Think
- Mathematical Machines, Digital Computers
- A Few Good Men from Univac
- Finite-State Models for Logical Machines
- ILLIAC IV - Systems Characteristics and Programming Manual
- Storage Tubes and Their Basic Principles (25 types, including 4 types used for main memory on early computers)
- Manual for Integrated Circuit Users (©1973)
- Digital Computer Fundamentals
- Electronic Digital Integrating Computers: Digital Differential Analyzers
- Digital Computing Systems
- Supercomputers: Class VI Systems, Hardware and Software
- The Apollo Guidance Computer Architecture and Operation
- Formal Methods of Program Verification and Specification
- Learning the Radiotelegraph Code (©1970)
- The Secrets of Station X
- Colossus: The Secrets of Bletchley Park's Codebreaking Computers
- The man who never was
- Parallel Programming
- Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell
- Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (Paul A. M. Dirac)
- We Heard the Angels of Madness - A Family Guide to Coping with Manic Depression
- Manic-Depressive Illness
- The Key to Genius: Manic-Depression and the Creative Life
- the family face of Schizophrenia
- Mood Genes: Hunting for Origins of Mania and Depression
- The Man Who Tasted Shapes
- The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing
- Flu: The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It
- Virus Hunter: Thirty Years of Battling Hot Viruses Around The World
- Dead Men Do Tell Tales • The Strange and Fascinating Cases of a Forensic Anthropologist
- The Story of English
- In Search of the Dark Ages
- What Is the Name of This Book? - The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles
- FLIM-FLAM! - Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and other Delusions
- Extraordinary Popular Delusions an the Madness of Crowds (2001 reprint of 1852 original)
- Science Good, Bad, and Bogus
- Houdini: The man who walked through walls
- Combat-Ready Kitchen, How the U.S. Military Shapes the Way You Eat
- CHICAGO Gang Wars in Pictures: X marks the Spot (©1930), original cover price $1 copies in similar condition sell on eBay for more than $100 now